Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Teaching for Tomorrow

I should have read this article first before I posted my previous blog.  The section on "How I Discovered I Was Producing Highly Educated Useless People" would relate to my fears and uncomfortable feelings during my junior and senior year at college.  (Refer to Tuesday's Reflection Post)  This is why I want to challenge myself into creating problem solving and higher level of thinking skills into my lessons.  I want to challenge my students so they won't feel like a "highly educated useless person".  I want to link my lessons to real world experiences that my students will encounter.  By doing this, they will have a greater chance of remembering the context being taught because they have something to link it to.  Rather then being spoon feed and later asked to regeratate the answer on a test which will be later forgotten.    

2 Comments:

At June 4, 2008 at 8:47 PM , Blogger Lindy said...

I can certainly relate to the highly educated useless person! I also took lots of courses that seemed pretty worthless at the time and I doubt that any of that information stayed with me even days after the class was over.

 
At June 4, 2008 at 9:27 PM , Blogger Katie Morrow said...

I'm with you guys, too. Hopefully we can all look back at THIS week and not feel that it was entirely useless!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home